Our outdoor archery season will begin at the St. John's Rod & Gun Club on Monday evening May 17, 2021 at our facility in Holyrood on the TCH. As usual we will have the full 3D course set up as well as target butts on the target range. Start time is 6pm and we will shoot until dusk each evening.
Here are some Covid shoot guidelines:
- Anyone feeling ill or self-isolating MUST stay home
- The clubhouse will be open, however you are encouraged to assemble equipment outside and reduce socializing inside the clubhouse as much as possible
- Shooters must practice physical distancing, that is remain at least 2 m apart at all times
- When target butts are set up for a shoot please limit the number of shooters per butt to 2
- Masks can be worn outside at shooters discretion, they should be worn inside the clubhouse
- Please carry a personal sized hand sanitizer for use around the course
- If protocol is followed the only surfaces touched should be your own equipment
- Keep socializing to a minimum while on the course and around the clubhouse grounds
- Current shoot fees are $4 junior and $8 senior
- Guest insurance is an extra $5 and can be used up to 3 times
Thanks and look forward to seeing you at the club!
Archery Committee Chair
Please Note: ALL RANGES WILL BE CLOSED SATURDAY MAY 8-2021 TO FACILITATE REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE DURING CLEAN UP DAY.
The weather for tomorrow (Saturday) looks mostly clear so Clean Up Day WILL be going ahead as planned. Thanks to all members who have been in contact with the executive to volunteer for clean up day tasks.
Clean up day will begin at 9am, if you have not already been assigned a task please meet at Rifle Range B and see Mike Smith or Dave Reddin.
Lunch will be available for all volunteers at no charge.
Most tools will already be on site, if you have your own and wish to use your own tools you can bring them along at your discretion.
Thanks in advance to everyone that plans to come out tomorrow for the full day or even part of the day. All help is greatly appreciated.
We will be holding our annual cleanup day tentatively on Saturday May 8, 2021. The rifle/pistol ranges need quite a bit of work after this harsh winter and we need as many volunteers as possible to lend a hand. This is a great way for members to give back to the club with some basic volunteer labour.
Heavy equipment will be on site to do the hard work of re-shaping back stops, re-setting concrete post holders and repair water drainage. Volunteers will need to pick large rocks from the range floor, collect windstrewn garbage, rake the back stops and rebuild the target stands.
The ranges can be made absolutely beautiful, but only with YOUR help. Please contact president Mike Smith if you are able to come out for the day or even a couple of hours. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once Again thanks to all members for your patience and understanding as we move forward in our plan to continue re-opening the club while staying compliant with the changes to public health orders. Please see details below.
First I would like to thank everyone for your patience and understanding during our unprecedented temporary Covid-19 outbreak shutdown of our facility. Fortunately it occurred at a much slower time of year at the club as referenced in our range log books from previous years. We will be re-opening the club in stages in response to public health regulations, please see our plan below:
Covid-19 Action Plan
ALERT LEVEL 4 Response-2021:
With the declaration of the Province’s Public Health Emergency moving to alert level 4, the executive board of the St. John’s Rod and Gun Club has revised the Covid-19 Action Plan for our organization. We have consulted with Public Health Authorities and have enacted rules similar to those being used in other outdoor activities involving prolonged contact with outdoor infrastructure. References to “Bubble” must follow current public health regulations on acceptable bubble members.
- Ranges A, B, C, will open Saturday morning March 13, 2021 for individual members to use with the following restrictions:
- Range A - no more than 5 people shooting at a time, Range B – 7 shooters, and Range C – 5 shooters. If you are waiting for a shooting stall please remain in your vehicle.
- Social Distancing of 6 feet or 2 metres (one shooting stall on range B) must be followed between ALL people on ALL ranges at ALL times, only exception is someone from your bubble.
- No informal or formal gatherings or socializing with people outside your bubble at this time.
- Guests can ONLY be from your bubble as currently defined by Provincial Government so they can be appropriately and directly supervised. Other friends/family should not come to the club with you at this time.
- All regularly scheduled normal group activities remain suspended. Rentals remain suspended. Corporate member bookings will be reviewed on a case by case basis under level 4.
- Buildings may be accessed to retrieve equipment & supplies, access first aid/emergency equipment and to Sign Log Books as required by the firearms office.
- Members are responsible for their own hand washing measures/sanitization and assume any and all risk when touching common surfaces such as locks, log books and door handles.
- Members are encouraged to wear a face mask while actively shooting on the firing line. Prolonged close contact to club infrastructure such as shooting tables can cause the virus to spread unknowingly.
- Masks must be worn inside any club building while accessing supplies or Log Books.
Orientation: All in person sessions remain suspended at this time. Our electronic orientation refresher course is available to members who have lapsed 1, 2 or 3 membership seasons, please contact our membership coordinator for more information.
Membership: Membership processing will continue as normal please allow additional time as there may be delays or slowdowns in the membership process and Canada Post.
These are trying times and different circumstances from the initial outbreak last year. We all have our part to play in preventing the spread of this virus and keeping our hospitals from becoming overwhelmed. Our action plan will be reviewed and renewed every two weeks but may be revised or cancelled at the discretion of the Executive Board, Health Canada or our Provincial Government.
I would like to provide some clarification regarding the status of our Annual General Meeting. Our annual newsletter has gone to Canada Post for delivery and we have also made an announcement on our website that has caused some confusion for some members. I stated on the website and in the newsletter that the AGM for the 2020-2021 membership year has been postponed, the bottom of the newsletter erroneously states “No Annual General Meeting This Year” which was an error on my part. It should have stated “No DATE for Annual General Meeting This Year.”
In short, the executive board approved a motion to amend bylaw 5.01 so that under egregious circumstances the executive board can motion to postpone the AGM for 60 days with a review again at that time to proceed or postpone for another 60 days.
In short our Annual General Meeting will be postponed until such time as it’s safe and legal to host, we’re able to perform balloting for elections and be held in a manner in which all members have the capability to attend should they wish to take part. The existing executive which has remained largely unchanged in recent years has agreed to stay on and continue to safely manage the club through these trying times, which has added a great amount of complexity, responsibility and stress to our normal operations. Any positions that become vacant will remain so until an election of officers is held.
Please regularly check the club website for updates on this and other important club matters.
Earlier this evening the Government of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador moved the entire island to Covid Alert Level 5 which in summary means all but essential services must shut down. It includes prohibiting gatherings of more than 5 people and greatly limits recreational activities.
For the safety of all members, and to remain legally compliant under Covid Alert Level 5 Public Health Orders, the executive board has approved a motion to Close ALL RANGES AND BUILDINGS of the St. John's Rod and Gun Club effective immediately.
Our facility is not to be accessed by members at this time with the exception of security checks, emergency repairs, and snow clearing and only with written acknowledgement from the president or executive board.
We will adjust our Covid Response with guidance from Public Health Authorities and open our ranges as soon as we are allowed. Membership renewals will continue via postal mail as normal.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during these difficult times, stay safe, keep your families safe.
2020 was a very trying and difficult year and so far the first few months of 2021 is shaping up to be much the same. Although the Covid-19 pandemic has had and continues to have an effect on all club operations our volunteers are working diligently to complete our year end, membership renewals and provide updates on Range accessibility due to the recent surge in cases. Here are some important updates:
- Our annual club newsletter & renewal forms will be going in the mail this weekend.
- Membership renewals will be processed the same this year as in previous years, you can use the membership renewal form in the newsletter or you can print one off on the website. This allows us to follow our Covid-19 protocols for incoming mail. Payments are only to be made via cash, cheque or money order. Electronic payments and emailed forms will not be instituted at this time as it adds another layer of complexity to accurately matching payments to renewal forms, compounded when processing over 1000 membership renewals in a short period of time.
- Memberships for 2021 HAVE NOT BEEN PROCESSED YET. Processing of these will begin next week beginning with Multiyear members followed by renewals in the order in which they were received.
- Lapsed members can take advantage of our new Orientation Refresher Course which is completed via email, it is now available for members who have lapsed 1-3 membership seasons. Contact membership consultant Sandra Ryan for details.
- New member orientation sessions are cancelled for at least the next 30 days as we wade through the current outbreak of Covid-19 in the St. John's Metro area. Please check back here for an announcement when orientations are re-instated.
- Covid Alert Level 2 directives are still in place at the club. We are an outdoor facility like the St. John's Skating Loop so Ranges are at this time available for members to use. It is very important that social distancing between family bubbles is maintained on all ranges with 6' (or in the case of the rifle range one full shooting stall) separation. Members can access club buildings to sign range logs but not to socialize at this time. Members are responsible for your own hand sanitizing after touching common surfaces such as locks and door handles.
- In light of the ongoing pandemic and surge of new cases the Executive Board of the St. John’s Rod and Gun Club has approved a motion to postpone our Annual General Meeting for the 2020 membership year, which normally would have taken place at the end of February. The current Executive will remain in place as elected at the 2019 AGM and extend all offices for 12 months. Any offices that become vacant will remain vacant for the 2021 membership year.
- This decision was made in consultation with numerous other comparable not for profit organizations, capacity restrictions of venues due to social distancing requirements, and not finding a reasonable, safe and secure means to hold a secret ballot for elections. Technological online solutions were considered, but decided against as there is too high a percentage of the membership who have no means to attend an online meeting.
- Committee reports are still being worked on and will be made available for download on our website in March 2021, or you can request to have a report mailed should you not have the means to download from our website.
Thanks to all members for your patience and understanding and adherence to our Covid Alert Level Response Directives over the last 12 months.
Bill 238This enactment amends the Criminal Code to provide that a person who is charged with an offence in respect of the possession of a firearm that is alleged to have been unlawfully imported into Canada is required to demonstrate that their pre-trial detention is not justified. It also increases the mandatory minimum penalty for the possession of such weapons.This proposed amendment was an earnest and worthwhile effort to address the importation of illegal firearms into Canada. It was meant to deter criminals from availing themselves of black market firearms. Sadly it was defeated by the Liberal Government.I think it important for all of us to understand that the Government which has specifically targeted licensed fire owners by arbitrarily banning over 1,500 types of firearms is opposed to addressing the very real problem of smuggling illegal firearms into Canada.I once again urge you to voice your dissatisfaction with the draconian actions being taken against law abiding gun owners.
Action Shooting Committee
The St. John's Rod and Gun Club has been working on a multi-year Trap Improvement Project that's been made possible in part with support from the Amateur Trapshooting Association's Gun Club Fund and our volunteer trapshooting members. There's been a considerable amount of work done and we extend sincere thanks to the volunteers who gave their time, strength and expertise to help improve our club. For those who like to see more photos and details of the 2019 work and Traphouse 2B rebuild, please visit https://shootatlantic.
Update for the archery shoot schedule for the next couple of weeks as we enter into our transition from our indoor to our outdoor season. Please see below:
May 17th - regular shoot
May 24th - no shoot (grad weekend at school)
May 27th - 3D shoot and start of our regular Monday 3D season
May 31st - indoor shoot (final Friday shoot for season)
June 2nd - indoor tournament (details to follow)
As always, these dates are subject to change, however if you do not see a posting stating otherwise our shoots are a go each week.